Monday, January 25, 2010

I'm Here! :)

I've arrived in the great land of Scotand! Upon arriving in the Glasgow airport on Sunday, I was looking for a shuttle bus the university website said they offered for international students. After looking for 30 minutes for the shuttle, I ran into another American girl who was looking for the same thing! We ended up assuming it wasn't coming and we split a cab to the university. Her name is Mel and she goes to Purdue. She has become an unofficial roommate of mine ever since we got here. :)



















Getting checked into my flat was another excursion in itself. Lets just say I wish I could have had a Mary Poppins bag that was small and somehow managed to fit EVERYTHING in. Instead, in reality I had my backpack, clarinet and 2 suitcases. Upon registering and getting my keys, I proceeded to haul all my luggage down a big flight of stairs, then up another, then getting to my flat I had to carry all my luggage up to the 4th floor (top floor) of my flat building. Lets just say my back still hates me. :-( I met my roommates that night. There are 3 of us from the U.S., 1 from Canada and 2 from China.


My friend Mel and I did go out exploring a bit late Sunday night. We were both really jetlagged but the excitement of being there gave us a desire to explore a bit downtown and find some dinner. My first sights of Scotland (though it was dark outside by the time we arrived) were beautiful. I love the city. Even better than the city are the people. We had multiple locals help give us directions or recommend where to go. They're so friendly here! We ended up finding a Subway and yes, Subway was our first meal in Scotland. Tasted so good after 24 hrs of traveling! :)




Yesterday besides getting registered, ID pic taken and a few other loose ends tied, some of my roomies and I went shopping. Went to buy stuff like duvee cover, hairdryer, and then me and 4 of my roommates all bought the same cheap pay-as-you-go phone. If any of you have free outgoing international text messages, feel free to text/call me here at 011-44-789-158-1010 (I think that's the correct # you'd need to type in from the U.S. If it doesn't work, let me know and I can send YOU a text first. :) I know that U.S. Cellular has no charge for international texts but other than that, I don't know.

Today's my biggest day since I came here. I'm going to figure out how to take the bus to the other campus, where I'm going to have my music modules (classes). I am going to officially get signed up for my modules and then I have my orchestra audition this afternoon as well. Yikes

Below are a few more pictures. The first one is the view from my bedroom window. The second is the view from our living room. The third is our living room. I'll be sure to put up more pictures of my flat later!



















The picture below is of me, Mel and my 2 American roommates Alex and Kate, as well as Noelle, our lovely Canadan. :) More updates coming soon. Take care!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah! so glad to hear you arrived safely!
    We all miss you here in Iowa...
    How did your audition go?
    Ahhhh the Subway looks delicious...
    that sounds like a safe fallback
    whenever you feel like you have a little too
    much of Scottish food...
    Anyways, Patti and Lisa and Matthew and
    everyone at McF says hello!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two Chineese Roomates. Somehow, this dosn't suprise me. ;)

    ReplyDelete